5.28.2012

Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

Currently the Cook the Books club is taking a tour through the culinary history of the US by reading The United States of Arugula by David Kamp. I wanted to reflect the current trend among top-level chefs of going back to homey food and went for a variation of the classic lentil soup. 

Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

Adapted from Ad hoc at home by Thomas Keller

Ingredients:

8 ounces smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
3 Tbsp canola oil
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 leek, sliced
1 onion, diced
1 tsp yellow curry powder, or to taste
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 cups lentils
8 cups vegetable stock
1-2 Tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper

Method:

In a soup pot, heat the oil and fry the bacon on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, leek, onion and curry powder and fry for a couple minutes more. Add the lentils and stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

What a great name for a book! I'll have to check it out. Soup looks delicious!

Rachel said...

Good to see you back at Cook the Books! We love our book club hombres!

Unknown said...

Lentils are the only vegetable/pulse, I don't eat with joy, but I have bookmarked this for future recerence!

Eliotseats said...

I definitely learned a lot from this book---it was a great selection for CTB---as is your inspirational soup here.

Claudia said...

We are actually in full summer mode here, but today for some reason a bit chilly and rainy, so your soup would hit the spot. Sounds good.

Simona said...

I have never had a lentil soup with sweet potatoes and now I want to try. Thanks!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fun to see you again at Cook the Books. ;-) I love homey food and I am happy to see the excellent versions at my favorite restaurants. Your soup looks like wonderful comfort food!